IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Course (Sail)
The 6 day IYT Coastal Yachtmaster certification is an internationally recognized recreational level of experience, knowledge and expertise which demonstrates competency of the person to take charge of the safety of a vessel and it’s passengers and crew. This comprehensive liveaboard course includes a practical on board exam, at the end of which the Yachtmaster is certified to take control of vessels up to 24m 60nm from shore in mild to moderate weather conditions.
- 30 days and 800 miles at sea including 2 days as watch leader/skipper
- 12 hours underway on watch at night
- Minimum sea time must have been met prior to certification
Duration : 6 days
Book This Course Next Course
Classroom theory covering the following:
- International collision regulations at sea, light and shapes
- Navigational charts and publications used for passage planning.
- Dead reckoning and estimated position, position fixing, estimated time of arrival
- Electronic navigation equipment
- Tides and currents, secondary ports, tidal markings on charts, the effects of set and drift
- Pilotage and safe entry into harbors and marinas
- Safety at sea including personal safety equipment and safety equipment on board
- Meteorology, Cloud formations, winds, Beaufort scale, safety actions onboard
- Rope work, splicing, whipping and review of nautical knots
- Anchoring, types of anchors and their use, Lee shores, anchor dragging, and safe anchorages
- Boat handling, steering a course, compass course, true course and magnetic course
- Docking, differences in types of vessel, safe entrance into marinas, docking against the wind versus docking with the wind.
- Passage planning
Day 2 – 5
Offshore Training Cruise, where the participants are responsible for provisioning, pre-departure checks, passage planning, safe anchoring and dinghy use.
Onboard practical exam covering all aspects of the course.