IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Course (Sail)
The 6-day IYT Coastal Yachtmaster certification is an internationally recognized recreational level of experience, knowledge and expertise which demonstrates competency of the person to take charge of the safety of a vessel and it’s passengers and crew. This comprehensive liveaboard course includes a practical onboard exam, at the end of which the Yachtmaster is certified to take control of vessels up to 24m 60nm from shore in mild to moderate weather conditions.
View Our Calendar
- 30 days and 800 miles at sea including 2 days as watch leader/skipper
- 12 hours underway on watch at night
- Minimum sea time must have been met prior to certification
Duration : 6 days
Book This Course Next Course
Classroom theory covering the following:
- International collision regulations at sea, light and shapes
- Navigational charts and publications used for passage planning.
- Dead reckoning and estimated position, position fixing, estimated time of arrival
- Electronic navigation equipment
- Tides and currents, secondary ports, tidal markings on charts, the effects of set and drift
- Pilotage and safe entry into harbors and marinas
- Safety at sea including personal safety equipment and safety equipment on board
- Meteorology, Cloud formations, winds, Beaufort scale, safety actions onboard
- Rope work, splicing, whipping and review of nautical knots
- Anchoring, types of anchors and their use, Lee shores, anchor dragging, and safe anchorages
- Boat handling, steering a course, compass course, true course and magnetic course
- Docking, differences in types of vessel, safe entrance into marinas, docking against the wind versus docking with the wind.
- Passage planning
Day 2 – 5
Offshore Training Cruise, where the participants are responsible for provisioning, pre-departure checks, passage planning, safe anchoring and dinghy use.
Onboard practical exam covering all aspects of the course.